Direwolf Badassery - 4 points. What a strong opening. Ghost just ripping a white walker to pieces, that's exactly how you set the tone for the season!
Joffrey Swag- 3 Points. Man I love hating this kid and he was in fine form tonight. Being a little wuss hiding out in his box while his wife helps out the orphans gives him 2 points. But dropping a line that people who keep him in meetings should be tried for treason, that's a healthy one point. Strong start, keep it up.
1. Right out of the gate we get a new city on the credits map - Astapor - which is where Khalesi was hanging out scoping out a potential new slave army. Let's talk about that for a second, that dude was slicing off nipples. In addition to that, he is disrespecting everyone left and right, whether it's the aforementioned now nippleless man, his slave/translator, Khalesi herself or Sir Jorah this guy is #1 on the list of dudes who is going to get ROASTED by those dragons.
2. Speaking of Dragons that whole catch the fish, cook the fish, eat the fish routine was incredible. Never seen a dog do that.
4. Mance Rayder! Finally we meet the guy we first hear mentioned in season 1 and often mentioned in season 2. Portrayed by Ciarin Hinds (you probably recognize him from "Munich" or "Harry Potter") I couldn't be happier about this character's introduction. He's a good mix of smart, scary, and icy cool and I can't wait to see what happens. I dig how they acknowledge his past as brother of the Nights Watch which right away establishes a kinship between him and Jon. Also is Ygritte his daughter?
5. Gentle Mind Bone Alert - Let's talk about visual metaphors here folks.
- The Castle Getting Rebuilt At King's Landing - While they were damaged after the actions of last season, characters are re-building and re-positioning for their next move. All things crumble and all things must be rebuilt.
- Sir Davos Alone On the Rock In The Ocean - Sir Davos has always been a steadfast seafarer, father, and friend to Stannis. Yet seeing him alone on that rock in the ocean let us know that his path this season will be one where he is surrounded by no one. A man is an Island indeed.
6. When Sir Jorah tells Khalesi that she needs to prove herself a brave and strong warrior to the people in her Khalesar, you know what he is really saying --- "First you get the dragon fire, then you get the power, then you get the respect!"
7. It's nice to see the Margaery Tyrell spending time with the orphans. She's a great Queen, remind me a lot of Kate Middleton, which would mean that Joffrey was Prince William. Yikes!
8. I love Stannis, but the dude is colder than White Walker's breath. I get the seductive power of Melisandre, but he's clearly in a bad place right now. Whatever his storyline this season is, I'm sure it's going to be interesting.
9. We didn't get to see Theon Greyjoy, Arya, or the younger Stark boys this episode, but I'm sure we'll be seeing them soon. After all this show has lots of characters to juggle.
10. That double threat of the dark tongued girl and the insect assassin out of the bocce ball seemed like a lot to handle for Khalesi, but you think she would learn by now to watch her back in foreign cities.
11. Tywin's put down of Tyrion was cold and brutal. Since Tyrion is a fan favorite, I'm putting smart money on Tywin to find a axe buried in his head by the end of the season.